The Quonset Huts acted as temporary structures on the University of Iowa campus, and were the location of Iowa Writer’s Workshop classes in the early 1950’s. They remained on the east side of the Iowa River after World War II. “None of the classrooms in these huts had air conditioning,” writes Workshop graduate Robert Dana of the buildings “and when the rain drummed down on them, all talk ceased […] Nonetheless, the workshop quarters were basically humble..”
Dinger, Ed, ed. Seems Like Old Times. Iowa City, 1986. Iowa Writers’ Workshop jubilee. Main; Archives.